Saint George the Martyr, Queenscliff
Key milestones in the development of the St George the Martyr Anglican Church in Queenscliff.
1853 The township of Queenscliff was surveyed
1854 A timber Church of England school house opened
1862 The Queenscliff township was formally gazetted
1863 The church of St George the Martyr was constructed, designed by Albert Purchas in the style of early English Gothic architecture
1864 The church opened for worship in the February
1865 The vicarage was built in Mercer Street to the north of the church, also designed by Albert Purchas
1868 St George the Martyr church was consecrated
1872 Construction started on the School Hall, designed by Albert Purchas in Victorian Gothic style. It was completed in 1902
1877-78 The castellated Bell Tower designed by Albert Purchas was added to the church
late 1800s St George's conducts services at Point Lonsdale
1887 The chancel of the church was extended
1951 St James separated from St George's and became its own parish
1967 The vicarage in Mercer Street was sold
1967 The new brick vicarage was built on land between the church and School Hall on Hobson Street.
2002 The parishes of St James and St George's began working together in a co-operative arrangement
St George the Martyr interior features many Ferguson and Urie stained glass windows, the restoration of which was completed in 2008.