Saint James, Point Lonsdale

Key milestones in the development of the St James Anglican Church

1856    The Queenscliff Cemetery was gazetted in Point Lonsdale

1863    The lighthouse begins operating at Point Lonsdale

1876    The first land sub divisions in Point Lonsdale

late 1800  The first church in Point Lonsdale was built at the Springs and was used by Methodists, Presbyterian and Church of England congregations.  The Church of England services were conducted by the vicar from St George's Queenscliff

1885   In a new subdivision of land, the Church of England purchased 3 lots in Albert Street

1890   The settlement of Point Lonsdale was incorporated into the Borough of Queenscliff by proclamation

1915   The St James church was built at 3 Albert Street to designs by Alex North and Louis R Williams, in timber and stucco

1923   The bell was hung in the Bell Tower

1936   The vicarage was built at 5 Albert Street

1951   The St James congregation formally separated from St George's and  became its own parish

1952   The Church Hall was built

1982   The church was re-clad with brick

1988-89   A new brick vicarage was built at 1 Albert Street

1990   The old timber hall was demolished and the new Gill Hall was built in brick

2002   The parishes of St James and St George's began working together in a co-operative arrangement.

 

 

 

St James interior